Home ] Up ] Planning & Surveys ] Road Diversion ] Preparatory Works ] The Overflow Conduits ] The Main Trench ] Temporary Water Intake ] Temporary Railways ] Other Works ] The Valve Tower ] The Culvert ] Staff ] Hollins Village ] Hollins Village 2 ] Jumbles Quarry ] The Dam Embankment ] Stocks Reservoir Construction ] [ The Filter House ] The Filter House 2 ] Stocks Reservoir ] Light Railway Locomotives ] St. James' Church ] The Reservoir Opening ] The Reservoir Opening 2 ] Stocks Drought Years ] Gallery ] Wildlife ]

The Filter House

The original filters in the Filter House date from 1926 when a temporary intake was constructed on the River Hodder approximately mile upstream of the Stocks Reservoir dam. The Filter House was then built around them and is dated 1927. Further filters were installed in 1934, 1935 and 1937.

Filter House doorway & datestone

Filter House Doorway & Datestone

Photograph used by kind permission of  Ken Geddes 2004. All rights reserved.

 

Stocks Reservoir Filter House viewed from the Tunnel portal - June 1931

Photograph used by kind permission of Mrs. J. Lawson

 

Stocks Reservoir Filter House - June 1931

Stocks Reservoir Filter House - June 1931

Photograph used by kind permission of Mrs. J. Lawson

 

Filter House - June 1931

Testing the compensation water bell-mouth at Stocks Reservoir Filter House - June 1931

Photograph used by kind permission of Mrs. J. Lawson

 

  Filter House and "scotch derrick"  steam crane - October 1931

Photograph used by kind permission of Mrs. J. Lawson

 

The Tailbay near the Filter House - October 1931

Steam navvy in the tailbay pool near the filter house - October 1931

Photograph used by kind permission of Lancashire Library Service - Clitheroe

 

 

Stocks Reservoir Filters 1932

 

Rear view of Filter House, 31st May 1932

Rear view of Filter House, 31st May 1932 - Dam embankment in the background

Photograph from the late May Jackson collection, used by kind permission of Mrs. J. Cowking

 

Back ] Home ] Up ] Next ]