Home ] Up ] Planning & Surveys ] Road Diversion ] Preparatory Works ] The Overflow Conduits ] The Main Trench ] Temporary Water Intake ] Temporary Railways ] Other Works ] The Valve Tower ] The Culvert ] Staff ] [ Hollins Village ] Hollins Village 2 ] Jumbles Quarry ] The Dam Embankment ] Stocks Reservoir Construction ] The Filter House ] The Filter House 2 ] Stocks Reservoir ] Light Railway Locomotives ] St. James' Church ] The Reservoir Opening ] The Reservoir Opening 2 ] Stocks Drought Years ] Gallery ] Wildlife ]

Hollins Village

Hollins Village - January 1927

Hollins Village - January 1927

Photograph used by kind permission of Mr. A. Walmsley

Before work could be started on the Stocks dam, a temporary village to house 300 to 400 men and their families had to be constructed with its attendant water supply, sewerage scheme, electric light supply, canteen, cinema and recreation hall. In addition, the necessary offices, joiner's workshops, engine sheds, blacksmiths' and fitters' shops and power house had to be built and equipped.  

Main Street - Hollins temporary village

Main Street - Hollins temporary village

Photograph from the late John Heap collection, used by kind permission of Mr. A. Walmsley

 

Sunday morning - Hollins village main street

Sunday morning - Hollins village main street

Photograph used by kind permission of Mrs. J. Lawson

 

The centre of life at Hollins village was the "wet" canteen where large quantities of "Dutton's" beer were sold to the navvies at 4d per pint. The barrels of beer were brought weekly by  train from the Tosside depot directly into the cellar of the wet canteen which had its own short  branch of railway line especially for the purpose. The manager, Mr. Jim Wilkinson, later went on to become landlord of the "Starkies Arms" hotel in Clitheroe. 

 Hollins Canteen with railway line branching off into the cellar

Hollins Canteen with railway line leading into the cellar

Photograph from the late John Heap collection, used by kind permission of Mr. A. Walmsley

 

 

Similar view of Hollins Canteen

Photograph used by kind permission of Mrs. J. Lawson

 

A camp hospital was built to accommodate six patients with a resident nurse/matron, Mrs. Kirkby, whose husband was the site storekeeper. The hospital was divided into a treatment room, hospital ward and living accommodation for Nurse Kirkby. There was also a lean-to building used as a mortuary.

Hospital Building at Hollins

Hospital building at Hollins - mortuary lean-to on the right

 

Back ] Home ] Up ] Next ]