Stocks Fold Grocery Store & Post Office c. 1900
Mr. J. Walmsley stood in the doorway with sons, Bob & Dan, sat on the steps.
Photograph from the late May Jackson collection, used by kind permission of Mrs. J. Cowking
The buildings that made up Stocks Fold contained the grocery store and Post Office, owned by T.C. Robinson, but run by Mr. & Mrs. John Walmsley until Stocks Fold was bought by John Swale in 1903. The Post Office then moved across to John Swale's "Traveller's Rest" and the store was then run by Jane Simpson.
Stocks Fold Grocery Store & Smithy c. 1910 - J. Swale's name over the door
The first steps led to rooms that were let out; the second set of steps led to the Reading Room, which later became the Billiard Room after the purchase of Stocks Fold by the Water board.
Photograph used by kind permission of Lancashire Library Service - Clitheroe