Stocks Reservoir Construction
Stocks Reservoir was created by the construction of a massive earth embankment dam over a period of 10 years between 1922 and 1932 to hold approximately 3,000 million gallons of water.
Building the Dam Embankment 1/4/1927
Photograph used by kind permission of Lancashire Library Service - Clitheroe
A deep trench was dug down to impervious bedrock and filled with a core of waterproof "puddled" clay, whilst huge quantities of earth were piled up against the clay centre of the dam to resist the pressure of over 250,000 tonnes of water at any one point. Hundreds of navvies, many of Irish origin, were involved in the dam-building works at Stocks during the 1920s and early 1930s.
View of Stocks Dam Works c.1925
Photograph used by kind permission of Mrs. J. Lawson
Fylde Waterworks, Dale Head 1926
Photograph from the late John Heap collection, used by kind permission of Mr. A. Walmsley
Fylde Waterworks at Stocks 1928
Photograph from the late May Jackson collection, used by kind permission of Mrs. J. Cowking
Many of the photographs are taken from, and much of the text of the following pages regarding the construction of Stocks Reservoir, is based on the "Souvenir of the Inauguration of the Hodder Supply by H.R.H. The Prince George, K.G. on July 5th 1932".
This hard-back commemorative booklet produced by the Fylde Water Board was presented to the Chief Cashier at Stocks Reservoir; Mr. John Heap, who then gave it to the late Mr. John Walmsley of Waddington. The booklet was kindly lent for use on this website by his son Mr. Ian Walmsley. Other soft-back copies of the booklet were produced and appear to have been given to "less senior" guests at the opening of the reservoir.