The Valve Tower
The valve tower or outlet tower houses the intakes for the supply pipe to the filter house, the compensation water pipe back to the River Hodder and the scour pipe which is used to help remove silt build-up in the reservoir or to release large quantities of water in an emergency situation.
Shuttering for construction of the the valve tower
Photograph used by kind permission of Lancashire Library Service - Clitheroe
The valve tower is 110 ft. from culvert level to control platform and is 10 ft. in internal diameter. It is concrete lined and faced externally with stone quarried at Jumbles Quarry and cut and dressed in the mason's yard below the site of the Filter House. It is sunk through the hillside for 31 ft. and rises above ground level for 79 ft. There are three draw-offs for supply controlled by suitably geared valves fixed at 72 ft. 6 ins. (bottom draw-off), 42 ft. 6 ins. (middle draw-off), and 18 ft. 6 ins. (top draw-off) below top water level.
Valve-gear in the valve tower controlling the draw-off of water from the reservoir
Photograph used by kind permission of Mr. Ken Geddes © 2004
The Valve Tower and access bridge approaching completion - June 1931
Photograph used by kind permission of Mrs. J. Lawson
Completed Valve Tower 1931. Stone facing on the embankment and the overflow weir not yet completed
Photograph used by kind permission of Mr. A. Walmsley